Sunday 12 August 2012

Tray Cloth Treasures

I've been enjoying a 'vintage themed' summer, exploring antique shops, upcycling old furniture and working with vintage sheets.

18 months ago, my Nanny passed away, and when mum and I were clearing out her house, we came across some beautiful tray cloths.

I don't think my Nanny embroidered them herself, but they were definitely handsewn.  I decided to keep them and yesterday I fussy cut a few sections to create this:


The front

The Back

Detail
And you might have noticed I've used some of my recently aquired (& freshly laundered) vintage lace!


The 'soon to be' owner of this pouch appreciates vintage fabrics, and I hope she likes this tray cloth pouch as much as me!

Finally, a wee sneaky peek on another gift in the making:


I sewed all these (& more) on while watching the Olympics Closing Ceremony! My days just won't be the same now without a daily Olympics fix!

And just time to tell you about another friend who has crossed over into the fun world that is Blogland!  Head on over to my friend Ruth, at Simply Sew and give her a big blogging community welcome!

Hope you've enjoyed your weekend.

20 comments:

  1. Good re-purposing Jude! There is always the paralympics next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous pouch, how lovely to use those cloths for something new. Love the lace too so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful... and how much better to be used and not pushed into a drawer x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Judith! That pouch is absolutely beautiful! I really love the way you've fussy cut the gorgeous embroidery. They are like pretty little windows in the linen. The lace is just lovely too! It just makes it so perfectly pretty!
    The soon to be owner is very very lucky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, love all the wee panels! I know what you mean though about no more Olympics, I was a bit teary earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I love the wee pouch.. The embroidery is so class xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jude it is gorgeous! You've really got the knack for upcycling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful embroidery, and such a lovely way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely way of enjoying your old treasures. I think we are all going to feel a huge anti climax this week, post Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea to incorporate the tray cloths - looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely use of vintage linens. I have a whole bunch of those buried somewhere. I really should find them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't heard the phrase tray cloth in a long time. My mother was an avid embroiderer (many of my old Irish dance costumes were hand embroidered by her) and I have some tray cloths and chair backs which she made and some that she bought but did not with. This is a great way to use them in a different way but that you can still have some memories from them. Must dig out that bit of linen I have now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your pouch, it's fabulous! I'm already missing the Olympics...roll on the Paralympics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great use of those vintage linens. Is the lace hand made? I LOVE the buttons in the last pic. Missing the Olympics already!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a brilliant way to reuse old treasures. No-one would dream of shutting it away now. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh I love this!!!! Linen, lace, embroidery....what's not to love!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, Judith, this is just beautiful! Such a great way to re-use some beautiful scraps and keep a little reminder of your nanny around, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful Jude:-) my Nana used to embroider tray cloths just like those :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. that is the most beautiful little pouch ever!!! love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo