Thursday 9 August 2012

Sew Bee Relieved!

This month in Sew Bee Happy, queen bee Hilary asked us to make a foundation pieced kaleidoscope block in blues and greys.


I downloaded the templates as per Hilary's instructions, but the block finished at 12" instead of 12.5"!  Oh no!  I don't have a good history with downloading accurate templates!

Thankfully Hilary didn't mind, and will be sashing the blocks anyway, so this block is now on it's way to Australia. Phew!

My Brit Bee blocks for this month didn't go too smoothly either!



Despite the pre-cut pieces and brilliant instructions from queen bee Katy, I still managed to mess up the trimming! 

Not having made this block before, I was more worried about sewing the curves, but using Leanne's tute they came together like a dream!

Thankfully I realised my trimming mistake early on and Katy was able to send me a couple of extra pieces to get back on track.

So these retro flowers are now on their way to bonny Scotland!

And if you love Art Gallery fabrics as much as I do, check out a fab giveaway here!

12 comments:

  1. The blocks look brilliant. I've never downloaded templates but you constantly hear of problems. All a bit confusing between US paper sizes and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look fab, thank you! And that extra fabric got there in record quick time too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They both look great Judith, well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blocks look great despite your problems x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like we both fell victim to downloadable templates this week. Your blocks look beautiful in spite of the dramas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. doesnt it drive you CRAZY when it doent work as your mind tells you it should!! You did very well x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think they look just smashing! I'm a bit nervous about trying Katy's block. I just have to pull up my big girl pants and get in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very heartening for your students to know that you have little blips here and there. Good blocks none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are fab! I empathise with the retro flowers I am sure I have something not right going on but I do manage to get them done eventually just a lot of faffing about with trimming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blocks look great! I was really worried I was messing up the trimming too...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the star anyway. I think the best templates come with a 1" box to check them on as printers are tricky. I am so glad the video helped you with the curves, once you get the hang of them they are just no issue at all. Your blocks are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo