Wednesday 1 October 2014

Dilly Bag Blog Hop!

I'm so excited to be part of the #dillybagalong Blog Hop!  Welcome! Welcome!


This is my first ever blog hop, so bear with me!

The lovely Angie asked me to join in the fun making Judy Newman's Dilly Bag, and after seeing Marie's gorgeous Dilly bag first hand I couldn't resist!

So here goes!

The main body of the bag is made from EPP hexies.  After changing my mind a few times, I settled on liberty and vintage prints, with a few embroidered fussy cuts thrown in for good measure!

Dilly bag-a-long

I enjoy basting hexies much more than sewing them together!  But I persevered and got my panel made over the weekend.

As liberty and vintage prints are quite thin I spray starched them before quilting the panel (going off pattern here!) and was glad to read that Sharon had also quilted hers!  I simply ditch quilted in the vertical columns.


To give you a sense of scale and size of the bag, here it is on my daughter's head (don't ask!).


After that, the bag came together really quickly.  The time consuming part was deciding what fabric to use in the lining and the gathered bit at the top!  I didn't put pockets in my lining and quilted some craft weight vilene into the base instead of making a base from templastic as stated in the pattern.


I'm not allowed to show you the finished bag yet, so you'll have to wait until the big reveal of all the finished Dilly bags on 17th October, when you can also vote for your favourite!

(I found the pattern easy to follow, but it assumes a certain level of knowledge. So if you are a beginner to EPP (English Paper Piecing) you may struggle a bit.)

And be sure to check out all the other gorgeous bags in the blog hop:

Wednesday 23 September: Sharon @ Simple Things
Friday 26 September: Sharon @ The Projects of My Life
Wednesday 1 October: Judith @ Just Jude
Wednesday 8 October: Kate @ Stitched with Love
Friday 10 October: Kathy @ iamacraftykat
Monday 13 October: Barbara @ Sunflower Stitcheries
Wednesday 15 October: Rachel @ Little White Dove
Friday 17 October: End link party here @ GnomeAngel.com
If you fancy having a go at making this bag yourself, you can get the pattern here.

I have someone in mind to gift my Dilly bag to, but I might just fill it up with goodies first!

Have a great week!
Jude xo

11 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what a beautiful dilly bag you have made ... I love the embroidered fussy cuts you have added, and those gorgeous liberty prints! Lovely stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the bag must check out the instructions feel a need to have one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just oedered the pattern so much for not starting anything new till I have finished 4 quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your liberty prints and vintage embroidery! I have just started sewing mine together

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb! What a tease though, can't wait to see the finished bag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure it'll catch on as headwear but it looks beautiful. You know I'm a sucker for hexies and pretty embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks good, anything with liberty hexies is bound to be good

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous hexies... Inspiration for some of my vintage fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good. I love hexie projects so this may be going on my list. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous, love the wee embroidered hexies in there

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo