Tuesday 21 May 2013

A Linen Quandry!

The Brit Bee '13 part 2 block I referred to yesterday was this one:

Brit Bee Block Feb13

This was the 2nd block I asked my lovely Brit bee-vers to make in February (it's a 2 block Bee), so that I could make a version of this for my bedroom wall:


As one of the blocks didn't make it back, I had to try and cobble another one together, with very little by way of leftovers.

I hope you can't notice which one it is!

Brit Bee '13 star wallhanging 001
Stuck up on my design wall - not yet sewn together!
The background linen here is natural Irish linen and isn't as dark in real life as it looks here. 

Anyway, my quandary is that I don't have enough natural linen to do the outside of the star as well as the pinwheel inside it.  So do I go with some darker, mocha Irish linen for the pinwheel (as shown above) or......

Brit Bee '13 star wallhanging 003

..... a paler natural Irish linen or.....

Brit Bee '13 star wallhanging 002

.... a solid cream (this is actually the wadding of my design board showing through, but you get the idea!).

Brit Bee '13 Star Wallhanging (in progress)

At the moment I'm leaning towards the mocha.  What do you think?



19 comments:

  1. I love this! I've seen a few different giant stars around recently and would love to make one myself but my wip and 'to do' lists are far too long as it is!

    But you don't want to hear about that you want an answer to you question!

    I really like both the mocha and the natural linen(the cream - not so much) but I think that you get a much better contrast with the mocha which makes the pinwheel really jump out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I can't spot your 'cobbled' block for love nor money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the dark side of Mocha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be brilliant when it's finished (lovin' the new design wall BTW). I think from your choices I'd opt for the mocha but I would be interested to see how an aqua/teal shade worked in the pinwheel too. Not helpful, I know, but you know me always ready with my handy bag of spanners to throw in the works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilt-in-progress! With the area outside the star being dark, I definitely prefer the mocha (by far) for the centre! Though it would also be good with all areas (inside and outside the star) cream or white...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know! Want me to rummage my linens if that's any help?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make mine a Mocha! And if it doesn't work out, and you hate it, I can always hang it on MY bedroom wall!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a beautiful quilt but I am going to drop my spanner in the works too and say that I prefer the natural linen! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd go with mocha, too. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely agree with you... mocha mocha all the way

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you Judith, for me also the mocha looks best. Brown colours is great with turquoise and blue. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would you hate me if I said none of the above? The mocha is the best of the three options, but I think I'd like a turqoise instead

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it with the natural linen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great! Great idea for a bee quilt too. My thoughts are not the dark. It's too heavy and detracts from the pieced blocks. I think the natural linen is best. It sets of the star the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd go mocha. It nearly looks navy here, which would be pretty too!
    You're going to have one gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the mocha but I also love Sarah's idea of aqua/teal or turquoise (as suggested by Katy) - sorry! Looks lovely, though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are the corner squares too small now to chop in half and go in the middle and then have a different colour for the outer corners?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo