Wednesday 5 October 2011

Bee Blessed - the next block!

Thank you so much to everyone who made wonky stars for our first Bee Blessed project.

So far we have received over 60 blocks, from 5 different countires, and have made 3 cot quilt tops so far, which we are in the process of quilting and binding.  We have a few blocks left over and know that a few more are still to come in, so we may even have a 4th quilt top!  How fab is that?

For our next project we will be making disappearing 9 patch blocks. 


This will probably be either for an adult or a family.  We aren't setting a colour code this time around, we only ask that the 4 'sliced' squares be plain white (no white on white) as shown in the tutorial below.

As always the unfinished block should be squared to 12.5".

D9P Tutorial:  Assume scant 1/4" seams throughout

1. Cut 4 x 4.75" plain white squares and 5 x 4.75" coloured squares.
2. Lay these out in rows of 3 to get a simple 9 patch (the centre coloured square will end up as the 4 mini squares).


3. Sew  the squares together in rows.
4. Take the rows to the ironing board and iron the seams as follows:
    Top row: iron seams OUT away from the white square
    Middle row: iron seams IN towards the centre coloured square
    Bottom row: iron seams OUT away from white square


5. Now lay the top row on top of the middle row, right sides together, and butt the intersecting seams (they should fit snuggly together because the seams are lying in opposite directions).  Pin the intersections.



6. Sew the rows together, and then repeat step 5 for the remaining bottom row.

Take care as you sew over the seams that are underneath and 'hidden'.  Make sure they don't 'flip' as you sew over them.
7. Iron the 2 seams away from the centre.
8. Now take your piece to the cutting mat, find the halfway point and slice in half.


9. Turn the 2 pieces around, find the halfway point and slice in half again.


10. Rotate 2 opposite pieces 180 degrees to separate out the small centre squares.


11.  Sew the top 2 pieces together, and then the bottom 2 pieces.
12.  Take both pieces to the ironing board and iron one joining seam going in one direction and the other joining seam going in the opposite direction.


13. Lay the 2 pieces rights sides together, and butt the centre seams together & pin.


14. Sew the 2 pieces together and iron this last seam OPEN.


15. Trim the block to 12.5" & stand back and admire your work!


Thank you so much in advance of your support for Bee Blessed and taking the time to make a block or two.

Don't forget to post pictures of your blocks in the Flickr group.

If you don't already have my postal address, just drop me a wee email & I'll send it to you.

Have a great Wednesday!

14 comments:

  1. Lovely tutorial, I have wanted to try this block for a long time. I will make you some of these too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a challenge for me to get right! Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I like the D9P..might do this today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will look great! The scrappy mix of randomness will be complemented by the white blocks. I'll see if I can make you a couple :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this for the Bee J! Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This block looks great, I have just the fabrics for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this block one of my fav' quilts has been made of d9p's... only I'm naughty and my seams often flip on the other side when I'm sewing :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okdok, need to get me some plain white and I will be on this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have plenty of plain white for this! great tutorial too. Will send something xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am on it! I've been wanting to try one of these, but just haven't had an excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial, I'll need to add a couple of blocks to my List ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial, can't wait to see what you create :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tute. Guess what I'll be doing over the weekend? Shhh, don't tell Laulipops ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial - I'll get some plain white and get busy! Do you want the blocks to be made from washed or unwashed fabric?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo