Wednesday 22 December 2010

Made for Me!



Having a dedicated sewing room tucked upstairs in the house is a wonderful place to escape to and bury myself in creative industry, working on new projects for classes, commissions and presents.  Time goes by at such a rate that I'm blissfully unaware of life carrying on around me, outside my inner world.  So much so that my husband has had to install a door bell extension in my sewing room so I can remember that other life forms do exist 'out there' - especially postmen!  I sometimes feel like I come out of hibernation & back into reality when I leave my sewing room! 

By this time of year however, I'm ready to indulge in making things for myself and spending less time in my 'lock-up', integrating more with the other humans I live with!  A dedicated creative space is great, but it's not very sociable.  So when spending time downstairs with the family, or watching TV, I like to crochet (my hands always seem to need something to do!).  I never took to knitting as a child (despite the enforced 'knit-ins' at school).  But when a great Aunt taught me to crochet at 8 years of age, I took to it instantly and found the quick making up of projects very gratifying. 

I haven't crocheted a thing since last Christmas, when I made 2 cushions for my lounge, and several other pieces for a craft fair (which sold really well!).  So when I found a great wee pattern for a crotched basket on chickpea studios I couldn't wait to try it.  I bought 3 balls of household string (eventually using 2.5) and went for it. 

I haven't crocheted with string before, and despite what felt like an upper body workout, and some very sore fingers later, this is what I produced.  It took me a few evenings to make, and I went for a pale green trim round the rim and in the handles.  I love the finished result and am still looking for a prominent place in which to show it off!!!!!

For any crochet enthusiasts out there, I would highly recommend this wee project.

4 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo