Friday 15 April 2016

Siblings Together Quilted Blocks

Since I started blogging over 5 years ago, I quickly became part of a wonderfully giving and generous community of quilters.

I have made friends with folks around the world, we have laughed and cried together, shared our achievements, disasters, tips and tricks!

And now and again I get to meet some of these wonderful people in the flesh!


This is an old pic of me and Marie, who comes to Belfast each year, all the way from Oz!
I'm so privileged to call Marie a friend, she is a talented quilter and a truly generous and inspirational person. Today we met again for coffee, and our short time together always goes too quickly!

And she ALWAYS has a gift for me!

Roses from Marie

Thank you Marie for my pretty roses, and your smiling and passionate heart!

Another way to be a part of this amazing online quilting community is to donate blocks.

QAYG Blocks for Siblings Together


Over on the Siblings Together blog, they have put out the call for quilted 20.5" blocks, following this tutorial.

These are super quick and easy to make, and if you want to practise your patchwork and especially your quilting, then what better way than on these 'mini quilts'.

QAYG Blocks for Siblings Together

The tutorial says you can either 'quilt in the ditch' (see my tips on ditch quilting here) or quilt them another way.

Here are some examples:

Echo quilting the seams (sewing at least 1/4" either side of the seams) ...


Diagonal lines (mark these out first with chalk or non-permanent fabric marker) ...


Free motion squiggles (you need to drop your feed dogs and attach a darning foot to do this).


Whatever way you decide to make your blocks, have fun with them, and know they will be made up into a quilt for a sibling separated by the care system.

Happy quilting!

Jude xo

4 comments:

  1. Great blocks! Lovely to have the opportunity to catch up with a blog-y friend in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks look lovely. I really want to find time to send some to Nicky too. She deserves all the support she can get.

    ReplyDelete


  3. RR
    เกม Candy Dreams ของทางค่าย Evoplay Slot เกมนี้มาในธีมลูกอมและขนมหวานสไตล์เดียวกับ Candy Crush
    แต่จะเน้นโทนสีพาสเทล ฟ้าอ่อน ชมพูอ่อน เหมือนขนมสายไหมและมาชเมลโล่ ให้ความรู้สึกหวานแหววและฟูนุ่มเบาสบาย สาว ๆ เห็นแล้วน่าจะชอบเกมนี้ไม่น้อย
    สล็อต1234
    สล็อต1234

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo