Monday 24 September 2012

Quiet!

Sorry I've been a bit quiet on here recently! And 'thank you' to those of you who have been thoughtfully checking up on me!

All is good in the Hollies' household!  We are just madly peddling our wee hamster legs round and round that darned hamster wheel of busy life!  I'm sure you all know exactly what that feels like!

I have been sewing, but mainly on class samples for next year's programme of classes. As the programme won't be out until October, I can't show you all that I've been working on, yet!

But here is a wee something I'm particularly chuffed with:


This will be a quilt called 'Ferry Floor' which I hope to teach next term sometime.  It is made using a layer cake and some solid.  I used Flora by Lauren and Jessi Jung (aquired from Fi!) and Kona Everglade.

The reason it is called Ferry Floor is because of this:


This is an actual Ferry Floor!!! It is the floor of the ferry we sailed on from Dublin to Holyhead this summer.  I was looking at it thinking 'that pattern is basically lots of siggy blocks sewn together!'.  And so the idea to make a quilt using the siggy block method took off in my head.

Now since returning from holiday I've seen several quilts done in similar patterns to this on blogland.  I didn't copy, I promise!

But I've specifically designed this quilt around using a layer cake.  Students in my class often hold up layer cakes and other precuts and ask 'what do you do with these?'. So I thought I'd design another quilt around the layer cake.

The pattern for Ferry Floor will of course be in my Etsy shop when I eventually get it written.  Just need another 24 hours in the week please!

Man, my wee legs are tired!

Hope you are having a great start to the week!

19 comments:

  1. I so understand the hamster legs syndrome. My wheel is in danger of falling of, and I cannot pedal much faster....

    I love yuor ferry floor. looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hamster leg syndrome seems to be prevalent this autumn. It is hard to stop. The Ferry Floor quilt is big and bold and I love it. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little hamster legs are running too! Why is it I'm not loosing weight in this marathon, though? Huh. Just keep trotting along...we're here when you have time to show us pretty stuff :)
    Your quilt pattern is gorgeous! It will be an absolute hit in your class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quilt. It's an inspired moved. I've only ever bought one layer cake and that was because of the fabric, but usually I look at layer cakes and jelly rolls and think yeah but what would I do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so with you on the hamster legs! And every so often I don't run fast enough and get whirled round that damn wheel - it's happening right now!

    Fabulous quilt (I love this sort of optical illusion pattern) and it's always so great to see inspiration photos!! Well spotted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt, and nice to see you back too :-) Take care! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous quilt! I've requested another 24hrs too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heh, fab inspiration, and it looks great! I totally know what you mean about the legs though, I think mine are about to give out o.O

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Ferry Floor! It's lovely to see a post from you - would you like to borrow my hamster legs? I'm not using them at the moment so it would be nice to get them busy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you know how to tempt us, love the ferry floor. I've got just the thing for it.
    Now you know why i'm the height I am, I used to be 6ft.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must look closer next time I see you as I thought you had elegant long legs not short hairy ones! Great job Jude you see quilts everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous quilt Jude, a resounding success,I'm sure! I want to know where all the hamsters are thy we've got to use,their wheels! Stop the world I want to get off! Hope you get a reprieve soon, take care x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow - this looks beautiful J. What a great pattern for a layer cake - this class is sure to fill up quickly. The pattern just has so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely quilt Jude and always good to see a pattern for a layer cake! Now go relax!

    ReplyDelete
  15. that is an amazing quilt!! I love it so much and you are so clever! yes we are on the same hamster wheel I think! Although I have more free time now with both kids at school but I am focussing on making items for my shop and puppy watching so busier than ever actually! Oh and worrying about children at school! Who would be a parent eh? x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really great pattern, Judith. Love how you used the solid.
    (I am now up and running with comments as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. keep pedalling Mrs, you're obviously getting those creative juices flowing - love the pattern :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous pattern, love where the design comes from!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo